Thursday, October 22, 2009

Very small new development

First of all, I am so tired of the main focus of my family being on cancer. It seems as if we talk of nothing else and focus on nothing else. There is all sorts of stuff going on out there so that's why I've posted these two random pictures. Life does go on! And other people have things going on in their lives and have needs too! (But I do have a small "C" word update for later.....)
This is our most recent Court of Honor. Austen is a Life Scout now. Next step is Eagle. Anyone have any good suggestions for an Eagle Project (that his parents will enjoy assisting him with)?

I pulled up the wrong picture first time around but didn't have the heart to delete it. This is Matt and Katie Worley's baby boy. I call him Cotty. His parents call him Scott. (You can see Katie in the background.)
Now for the other news. Side effects. The nurse did say that the chemo would be in my system for a few days after they removed the pump. I was under the impression that since I have had no new side effects after the 2 or so days of being off chemo that I was done or was not going to have any more.
Wrong.
Mouth tenderness and sores. Think canker sores. Ouch! Hurts lots! Hurts lots and lots! I can eat soup. That's about it. (Have lost 33 poinds so far.) I drink it though, 'cause if I slip and the spoon touches something - Yikes! I was able to get a mouthwash prescription though for this thick stuff that you swish around (ouch while swishing) for two minutes - at least that is what the instructions are - and then swallow. Instant numbness - feels good! I couldn't swish for two minutes though because I didn't want to lose it (sooooo yucky) so I swallowed after about 30 seconds. I'm supposed to do this every 4 hours. Did it at about 6:00 and am still pretty comfortable in my mouth so I might just as well stop complaining and either swallow the yuck or have unbearable mouth sores. Which would you choose???
Kind of makes me wonder though if I'm still a candidate to lose my hair..... Was hoping that I had dodged that bullet.

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh no!! mouth sores!! That's so terrible - yuck. Swish the yucky stuff mom! Try to longer than 30 seconds - even if it's 35! Then add on 5 more seconds every time. You can do it! (Blah!) And Austen sure looks good in his uniform!!:)

Beth said...

I've got a great Eagle project here in Boise - make a walkway from our subdivision to Amity school. I'll host! : ) Congratulations to Austen!!

Now about the mouth sores . . . no words. Losing 30ish pounds is good though, no?

Jody said...

I need to make some more nursery binoculars so save your toilet paper rolls for me again.

I also have Pink Panther and Kool Jammer "goal cans" to cash in. I'm going to need your coin counter soon.

And I would like to catch another waterpolo game of Austen's. Forward me a schedule.

See? No "c" word.

Anonymous said...

Faye,
I'm Chip's aunt, his mother's sister. I clicked on here from Chip and Tracy's blog, as I always follow theirs and was curious when I saw this blog title. You will be in my daily prayers. I know from what I hear about you on Chip and Tracy's blog that you are a strong woman with a positive attitude just under ordinary circumstances. You will meet this challenge head on, with your usual strength. Plus, you have wonderful family support which is great and so important. My positive thoughts are with you.
Anne Mantini