Friday, October 30, 2009

ONE THIRD 1/3 ONE THIRD

You might notice that everything in the picture below is divided into thirds. This has been a very significant number to me this week. As of Wednesday, October 28th, I have completed 1/3 of my treatment.

I am excited for this milestone. Every Thursday a new week starts. (I remember feeling this way when pregnant - when a certain day of the week would signal one more week closer to the all important 40 weeks!) I've been given a 6 week time table, although I may need a few more radiation treatments into that 7th week.


Being tired and having to be on pain meds is really the only thing that I could even possibly complain about. I took only 1 day off work this week, but I think I am going to be leaving a few hours early each day as a rule. We have found someone at to do the daily bulletin for me until I can take it on again. Big relief, because I do the bulletin late in the day and often times would have left except that that had to still be done. I am anxious for this stupid tumor to shrink some more because I still need pain medication. I take it every 4 hours. The last 30 - 45 minutes of my 4 hours isn't too comfortable though, as it is wearing off and then the first 1/2 hour of the next 4 hours isn't so great either while I'm waiting for the new dose to kick in. It was a lot worse in the beginning though, so I think I am seeing some progress.

You know how they say to visualize something happening to obtain positive results? Remember the scene in Wizard of Oz where the witch is shrinking because of the water that was thrown on her? Well I picture my tumor as an ugly green and uncomfortabley screaming "I'm shrinking!" whenever I have a radiation treatment. However, having seen Wicked and knowing the TRUTH about that scene.........

Last but not least.

Because of the dear, sweet, wonderful man that I am married to I am able to have this magnet and hang it on my fridge with pride!

Dave does absolutly everything for me and then tries to find ways to do more. He really is a strength and puts up lovingly with my getting up so many times in the middle of the night and is so encouraging when I tell him how tired I am of all this (and I have been known to whine a bit too). I know it wakes him and I don't know if it is all that easy for him to get back to sleep as I toss and turn trying to get comfortable. He keeps me warm, as most of the time I am cold these days. That can't be comfortable - sleeping next to an ice cube! He doesn't let me become afraid. He keeps my courage up.

I am glad for anyone that would like to read this blog to go ahead and do so. Nice to "meet" Chip's aunt, as I read so many of her comments on Chip's cross country bike ride and felt like I kind of knew her anyway.

Things are going very very well. I have had some very powerful blessings and know that all I have to do is bide my time. Thank you everyone for your love and concern. You make me feel so good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, to be one-third of the way through!! I'm glad you are doing well and taking the treatments and side effects in stride. Sounds like you have a great husband, another big plus. (It is nice to "meet" you, too.)

Tracy said...

Isn't Aunt Annie wonderful? :) I was anxious for another post. Glad to hear things are moving along the way they are. And I'm so thankful for Dave for what he brings to all of this. Love you so much and just can't wait to be able to see you!

Beth said...

Hi Mom!
I have been thinking about you so much lately. I'm glad to have read this post. I love the magnet, but I don't get it at the moment. Maybe it will come to me later, like in the shower. The wicked witch will die and show herself elsewhere. Somewhere far far away, and 97 years later, just like in Wicked. (I can make a parallel with that, but not the magnet.)

Jody said...

I like the part when you said, "he doesn't let me become afraid." The courage he gives you spreads to the rest of us and we are all grateful for him too.

Jody said...

ps - she has the kitchen only because she has the house. Had the house not already had one she wouldn't put one in because she doesn't need one because she doesn't ever cook.