Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Tis the Season.....

Earlier in the week Dave told me to save Wednesday night, as he has something planned for us to do but it was a surprise. Rolled my eyes and wondered what he had up his sleeve. He isn't one for planning very many surprises, but when he does, it is a pretty good one! As it turned out, he just had to make sure we were home on Wednesday evening.

So Wednesday night rolls around and I ask him what time we are leaving for our "surprise" and he says about 5:00 - 5:30. O.K. I say, so I am sitting, relaxing and waiting for the time to pass, wondering if we are going to dinner or a movie or if he found something a little different in the newspaper to go and do. So I am reading a book, waiting for time to pass, when I hear the unmistakable sound of live band instruments in our front yard.


So I walk slowly down our hallway and open the front door. Outside, completely covering our front lawn were dozens of people. I was greeted by members of our band, playing Christmas music. Not only was our band there, but others had come to join in as well.


Our choir director was there, with members of choir and other students and staff members as well. They sang while accompanied by the band.

Our band director was there, directing the band, of course!


It took a little bit of organizing between band director and choir director, but they got it together marvelously. I enjoyed every single second of it.


I am watching everyone - and completely overwhelmed. It was cold outside, but I didn't feel any kind of a chill at all until everyone had left. I was so completely and totally overwhelmed at the time that others took from their Holiday celebrations (it is December 23rd for Pete's sake!) to come and share with me. The warmth and love that was there completely melted the chill in the air. I truly didn't feel it at all. (Maybe the Boise folks will scoff at the 50 degree "chill" that was in the air at the time, but coats and thermal underwear were certainly in order for this California gal.)

A few staff members took time from their own Holiday preparations and families to come and join in.

The baseball team was there. Thanks generous Katella parents for sharing your kids with me.


Some of choir was there - one of the girls even wearing her black and purple Knights Fighting Cancer shirt.

Me and the band. Aren't they beautiful????
Of course you will never see anything like this in the newspaper. You don't hear much of love and generosity and giving and kindness in the press or on the news - mostly it is of toys being stolen and hearts being broken at this time of year. If you are lucky enough though, you might be able to experience this feeling of Good Will Toward Men and sharing. It's out there. Proof enough?
Go Knights!
(Of course I will never be able to say "No" to another student or group or club again after I return to work. Last minute requisition? No problem! Need a check yesterday? Here it is!!! )
Love you all! (and thanks again...)







No comments: